Legit Remote Jobs Forum

Freelancing => Getting Started => Topic started by: Ogajojo on Sep 30, 2026, 01:02 PM

Title: What Would You Recommend Someone Learn if they Want to Start Freelancing Today?
Post by: Ogajojo on Sep 30, 2026, 01:02 PM
If I wanted to start freelancing today, especially if I had little or no experience, I wouldn't start by asking, "What is the most profitable skill to learn?"

I would ask:

"What skill can I learn, become reasonably good at, and start selling to businesses within the next 30–90 days?"

There is a big difference between learning a skill and learning a skill that people are actually willing to pay you for.

If I were starting from scratch today, these are some of the skills I would consider.


1. Virtual Assistance

This is one of the options I would consider if I had no technical background and wanted to get started relatively quickly.

A virtual assistant helps business owners, entrepreneurs and busy professionals handle tasks they don't have the time to do themselves.

You can learn things like:

- Email and calendar management
- Internet research
- Data entry
- Customer support
- Appointment scheduling
- Google Workspace
- Basic project management

But I wouldn't simply advertise myself as "a virtual assistant."

I would choose a specific type of client.

For example, I could focus on helping real estate agents manage emails, organize leads, schedule appointments and follow up with potential clients.

Then I would learn the tools, practise with sample tasks, create a simple portfolio and start reaching out to potential clients.


2. Graphic Design

Businesses need designs for social media, advertisements, websites, presentations and marketing campaigns.

You don't necessarily need to become an expert in Photoshop or Illustrator before you can start.

You can begin with Canva and gradually develop more advanced design skills.

You could focus on things like:

- Social media graphics
- Flyers
- Advertisements
- Presentation design
- Basic branding

Again, I wouldn't try to serve everybody.

I might choose restaurants, real estate agents, coaches or small businesses.

Then I would create 10–15 sample designs specifically for that type of client.

Instead of constantly posting "I need a graphic design client," I would approach businesses and show them what I can actually do.


3. Video Editing

If I were interested in content creation, video editing would definitely be something I would consider.

Businesses, creators, educators and brands are producing more video content, and many of them don't have the time or skills to edit everything themselves.

You can start by learning:

- Cutting and arranging clips
- Adding captions
- Improving audio
- Basic transitions
- Short-form video editing
- Editing videos for different platforms

You could start with CapCut and later move into tools such as DaVinci Resolve or Premiere Pro.

I would probably focus on one type of client.

For example, I could help podcasters turn their long videos into several short-form clips.

Then I would create a few sample videos and start reaching out to podcasters who are already creating content but could use help with editing.


4. Copywriting and Content Writing

If you enjoy writing, this is another area worth considering.

Businesses need people who can write social media content, emails, website copy, product descriptions, advertisements and other marketing materials.

But I wouldn't focus only on "writing articles."

I would learn how to write content that helps businesses attract attention, generate leads, build trust or make sales.

For example, I could choose a particular industry and create sample emails, social media campaigns or website copy for businesses in that industry.

Then I could use those samples as my portfolio when approaching potential clients.


5. Social Media Management

If you understand social media and enjoy creating content, social media management can also be a good freelance service.

But social media management is more than posting pictures.

A good social media manager needs to understand content planning, audience research, captions, basic design, scheduling, community management and analytics.

I would choose one platform and one type of business to start with.

For example, I could help real estate agents manage their Instagram pages.

I could create a sample 30-day content calendar, design some example posts and show potential clients exactly what I could do for them.


6. Data Analysis

If you enjoy numbers, spreadsheets and solving problems, data analysis is another skill worth considering.

It may take longer to learn than some of the other skills I've mentioned, but it can eventually allow you to offer more specialized services.

You could start with:

- Microsoft Excel
- Data cleaning
- Pivot tables
- Lookup functions
- Charts and dashboards
- Basic statistics
- Power BI

You don't need to wait for someone to hire you before creating a portfolio.

Download public datasets and practise analyzing them.

For example, you could create a sales dashboard, expense analysis or customer analysis.

Then use those projects to demonstrate what you can actually do.

But here's the part I think is more important than choosing the skill.

You can spend six months learning graphic design, video editing or data analysis and still struggle to get your first client.

Why?

Because freelancing isn't just about having a skill.

You need three things:

1. A marketable skill.

You need to be able to solve a specific problem that someone is willing to pay you to solve.

2. Proof of ability.

You need to be able to show people what you can do.

That's why building sample projects is important.

You don't have to wait for your first client before building a portfolio.

3. Client acquisition.

You need to learn how to find potential clients, contact them, communicate your value, make an offer, follow up and close the deal.

This is where many beginners struggle.

They spend three months learning a skill but spend almost zero time learning how to get clients.

If I were starting today, I would give myself the first 30 days to learn the fundamentals, practise, build a few portfolio projects and start contacting potential clients.

And one more thing:

Don't choose a skill simply because someone on social media claims they are making thousands of dollars from it.

Choose something you can see yourself practising consistently.

Then find people who have problems that skill can solve.

Because freelancing is ultimately not about what you know.

It's about what you can do for someone else and how effectively you can communicate the value of what you do.

If you were starting freelancing from scratch today, what skill would you choose and how would you try to get your first client?